Hello everyone. Did you know that how much money you make determines the quality of health care you receive (if any), and how long you may live? Wealth inequality and the perception of wealth inequality are two different things. Thus, if you’re poor or low-to middle-income, poverty is hazardous to your health. Here are some hard stats: The top 1% wealthy in America makes 380 times in one hour more than what the average worker in a CEO’s company makes in a whole month (I’m not talking about the janitor, but the average worker in his company). That same 1% owns half (50%) of all of the country’s stocks, bonds, and mutual funds, and owns 40% of ALL of America’s wealth. On that same chart, the poor and the middle-income people have only 7% of the nation’s wealth between them, even though they make up 80% of the country’s population. The rest of the 20% of the population comprises the rich, the very rich, and that 1% wealthy we spoke about. Together, they control most of the country’s wealth (minus the paltry 7% distributed to the poor and middle income). Now, I’m using the U.S. as an example; however, global economists will tell you that the poverty lines and the distribution of wealth may be worse, not just in second and third world poverty-stricken countries, but even throughout many parts of Europe.
Read more at Amandala